About the company
1. When was Georgia Transmission Corporation (GTC) established?
2. What is Georgia Transmission Corporation?
3. Who owns Georgia Transmission Corporation?
Power line and substation construction
4. How does GTC determine when new facilities are necessary?
5. How does GTC site new substations and transmission lines?
6. What process does GTC use to minimize and mitigate environmental impacts?
7. What role does the local EMC play in locating new substations and transmission lines?
8. Are underground transmission lines feasible as an alternative to overhead transmission lines?
9. Would burying the line reduce exposure to electric and magnetic fields (EMF)?
Acquiring property and easements
10. How does GTC buy property or acquire an easement?
11. Why do utilities have the right to acquire private property rights?
12. What is an easement?
Electric and magnetic fields (EMF)
13. Are EMFs harmful to farm animals and wildlife?
14. Will a transmission line interfere with television and radio reception?
15. What rights do utility crews have to come on my property?
16. How tall can vegetation be in an easement?
17. How can I identify a power pole or tower?
Trees in rights of way
18. Why does Georgia Transmission prune trees?
19. Is Georgia Transmission responsible for clean-up after pruning trees?
20. Who should I call if I see a tree that could cause a problem with a power line?
21. What are danger trees?
Mowing and herbicides in rights of way
22. How often do you mow rights of way?
23. Can I mow the easement more often?
24. Can I purchase the same herbicides to use on my property?
Use of rights of way
25. What uses are permitted and prohibited on a right of way?
26. What type of authorization do I need to use a right of way?
27. Are ATVs or motorcycles allowed on the right-of-way?
28. Can I put a fence across the right-of-way?
29. If a ball or toy accidently lands in a fenced substation, what do I do?
30. What should I do if I see or hear any abnormal activities within the substation area, such as damage, theft, fire, fallen trees, children, loud noises, pets, animals, etc.?